Pamela A. Saunders, PhD
Chief Director, Doctoring Curriculum
co-Director, Geriatrics Clerkship
Departments of Neurology and Psychiatry
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Language, Communication, Doctor-Patient Interaction, Communication Training of Clinicians, Students, and Caregivers, Dementia, Medical Education, Narrative Medicine
My research at Georgetown has focused on the interaction between people in the clinical setting. I explore the communication behaviors of both the clinician and the patient in constructing the clinical encounter. I am interested in exploring how training providers to communicate better with their patients.
- de Medeiros K, Saunders S., Sabat S. (2011). Introduction to the special issue. Dementia. First published on October 20, 2011 as doi:10.1177/1471301211421062.
- Saunders P, de Medeiros K, Doyle P. (2011). The discourse of friendship: Mediators of communication among dementia residents in long term care. Dementia. First published online, November 20, 2011, as: DOI: 10.1177/1471301211421187
- de Medeiros K, Saunders P, Doyle P, A Mosby, K Van Haitsma. (2011). The meaning of friendship among people with dementia. Dementia. First published online, September 20, 2011, as doi:10.1177/1471301211421186.
- Doyle P, de Medeiros K, Saunders P. (2011). Nested social groups within the social environment of a dementia care assisted living facility. Dementia. First published online, September 20, 2011 as doi:10.1177/1471301211421188.
- MacLaughlin, B, W., Wang, D, Noone, A.M., Liu, N, Harazduk, N, Lumpkin, M, Haramati, A, Saunders, PA, Dutton, MA, Amri H: Stress Biomarkers in Medical Students Participating in a Mind Body Medicine Skills Program. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2011.
- Saunders, PA, de Medeiros, K, Bartell, A: "Oh He Was Forgettable": Construction of Self Identity through Use of Communicative Coping Behaviors in the Discourse of Persons with Cognitive Impairment. . Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice, 10(3), 2011.
- Saunders, PA, Tractenberg, R, Chaterji, R, Amri H, Harazduk N, Gordon, J, Lumpkin, M, Haramati, A. Promoting self-awareness and reflection through an experiential Mind-Body Skills course for first year medical students. Medical Teacher, 29:778-784, 2007.
- Saunders, PA, Aisen P, S. Geriatrics Curriculum at Georgetown University School of Medicine. Special issue of Academic Medicine, 79, S45-S50, 2004.
- Saunders, PA. "My brain's on strike": The construction of identity through memory accounts by dementia patients. Research on Aging, 20:65-90, 1998.
- Saunders, PA. "You're out of your mind!" An analysis of humor as a face saving strategy for patients and clinicians during neuropsychological examinations, Health Communication 10:357-372, 1998.